- Serves 4 as a side
- Prep time: 15-20 minutes
- Eat on the day of preparation
Ruby red jewels of pomegranate, juicy fresh orange, peppery rocket and fresh, aromatic mint team up to make this Mediterranean inspired summer salad. Full of nutritionally rich ingredients, it makes a great side to be shared alongside Meze, Tapas, chips and dip, or BBQ’d fillets (of quorn or whatever your preference is).
Serve in the company of good friends, with a generous serving of summer jams and plenty of vibes on top.
Bulk of Salad:
- Pomegranate seeds/arils (250g – roughly the equivalent of 2 pomegranates)
- Orange (4, peeled and cut into rounds of 1 cm thickness)
- Rocket/Arugula (a generous handful)
- Fresh mint (approximately 20-25 leaves, washed and finely shredded)
- Sunflower seeds (a sprinkling, roughly 15g)
- Extra virgin olive oil (3 tablespoons)
- Apple cider vinegar (1 tablespoon)
- A generous grinding of salt and pepper
- A tablespoon of black mustard seeds
- Add the olive oil, white wine vinegar, salt and pepper to a jar with a lid or a mug (then stir well with a teaspoon or pastry brush).
- De-seed the pomegranates
- Peel the oranges and chop into rounds, then trim the rounds into quarters of about 1cm thickness.
- Wash the rocket and mint, chop the mint roughly, then put in your chosen bowl.
- Add the orange and pomegranate to the bowl.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad, using your hands or salad servers to ensure the salad is all nicely coated.
- Sprinkle with sunflower seeds and serve.
Making the recipe more accessible:
- The pomegranate can be purchased ready de-seeded.
- The dressing can be made days or weeks beforehand so save energy for prepping the bulk of the salad on the day.
- Daily living aids used – a chopping aid and lowered kitchen unit.